Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bordertown

We live in a bordertown.

Not in the "wild west movie" way, but in the "I am a 10 minute drive to another country" kind of way. I LOOOOOOOVE it! I really feel like I get the best of both worlds. Having access to the mega shopping deals of the states, and staying comfortable in my Canadian roots.

It
seriously would change our cost of living if we moved where I couldn't take advantage. I cross the border probably once or twice a week...

Primary reasons?

* GAS - lets do some simple math... if the gas in the states is 2.10 a gallon (which it is actually 1.89 at Costco right now) and the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar is at 0.80... then:

2.10 x 1.20 = 2.52

and there is 4 litres in a gallon (give or take): 2.52/4=
0.63!!

That's right, 63 cents a litre! I don't know where you are, but where we are gas is hovering around 90 cents a litre right now - that's like get every 3rd fill up free!! I can fill my van for $40 CANADIAN!!

* DAIRY: Down south, milk at Costco right now is 2 gallons for $3.49... last time I bought milk at Superstore, it was $4.02 for ONE. Cheese & eggs are also a really good deal.
- I also can get Lactose-free whole milk at Safeway (it's a Lucerne brand) for Brynlea. I can't find it ANYWHERE here, so I have feeling if I did find it, it would NOT be cheap. It is about $3.79 for 2litres - not exactly cheap, but a LOT cheaper than lactose-free formula!!

The "great deals" I got at the outlet mall during evil spring break??

Check this: The Children's Place - 5 sweaters for next fall (2 for Averie, 2 for Evan & 1 for Brynlea) with matching toques for family pictures (1 for each child), plus a scarf for Graham that matches Evan's sweater (for family picture) and a Christmas tie for Evan that coordinates with the girls matching dresses for this year (see below)... Grand total??
$21!! That's less than the regular price for ONE sweater!

I also hit a clearance sale at Sears while at my parents' - got $50 dresses for Averie for $4!! Also got the girls matching Christmas dresses for this year - Averie's= $4, Brynlea's = $8 - TWO DRESSES FOR $12!! And they are regularly $50 dresses!

And of course no trip to the states is ever complete without a stop HERE:




The chocolate cone on the left & Brynlea's "cup" of ice cream??
40 cent "child" cones.
My Mint Oreo (yummmmm!) cone that Evan is holding for me?? $
1.75
Seriously. The best place ever.

It is also where I got the half pints of milk for Brynlea's party (see previous post)

Just thought I'd share a few of our secrets for weathering the recession :)

Sorry, Alana - I know this will make you homesick :)

1 comment:

Alana said...

Yup it makes me homesick. I miss shopping with you too. I miss you!