Thursday, March 12, 2009

An Angel Among Us

For those who don't know (and I am thoroughly ashamed if you know me at ALL and do NOT know).. our family is devout members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

We have been very excited since last year when the leaders of our church announced that the Vancouver area would be recieving it's own Temple. We currently have to travel to Seattle, Washington (which is where Graham & I were married). The closest Temple to us within Canada is in Cardston, Alberta.

We were even MORE excited when it was announced that the Temple would be built in Langley, BC (which is less than 30 minutes from our home). We have watched eagerly as the Temple has taken shape. We have driven by many times to show our children the place where they will likely be married & experience many of the most significant times in their own spiritual development.

Most of the LDS Temples all over the world have at their spire a golden statue of the angel Moroni. Here is info pertaining to why:
"Because of his instrumentality in the restoration of the gospel, Moroni is commonly identified by Latter-day Saints as the angel mentioned in Revelation 14:6, "having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people."
The image of the angel Moroni blowing a trumpet is commonly used as an unofficial symbol of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Moroni appears on the cover of some editions of the Book of Mormon, and statues of the angel stand atop many LDS temples, most statues facing eastward."

This week OUR Temple recieved it's spire & Angel Moroni statue. I am without words to describe the significance & importance of this to my, and many other families, for generations to come.

It is an awesome thing to be alive at this time to experience it with my children.

Here is the event itself:


Amen... and amen.

Now, if you do not know much about Mormons or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, you are likely asking yourself this question right now: WHY?

Why would those people stand out in the cold? Why a Temple when they already have chapels or meeting houses??

Here is some much more eloquente explanation than I could ever give:


It is a glorious day!

2 comments:

Alana said...

Thank you, thank you for posting the video. Now I feel like I got to be there. What a great day! While going to primary and YW in Langley, I never in my wildest dreams thought there would be a temple built just yards away! It is sooo exciting and humbling all at the same time! Thanks for posting the video again. I even saw the back of my dad's head! :o) He's talking to Pres. Coleman.

Karen said...

Erin Thank you so much for posting this video. It brought tears to my eyes to see the Angel Moroni being put onto our temple.