I feel over whelmed... most of the time. I have a hard time with house work. I think this may be a cardinal sin for a stay-at-home mom to say out loud but... I don't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a clean house - but the CONSTANT picking up that I would have to do to keep it clean is not something I enjoy spending every waking moment engaged in.
The "shoveling in a snowstorm" effect :)
I also don't like it when I hear myself telling my children NOT to play with their toys because "I just cleaned up in here!" - sort of doesn't seem like the right priorities...
So, I resign myself to the clutter & try to put it in perspective (Thank you Tricia for your inspirational quote on your blog!!) - "It's a stage" I tell myself... "There will come a day when you will WISH you had little people around messing up your house" - & this is the worst it will ever be because none of my kids are old enough to help out yet...
and I do really believe those things...
And yet...
those feelings of inadequacy creep in... and the shame; Oh the shame to have someone show up at my door unannounced!! I have often thought I would claim we had a break in!
I let that inadequacy poison my mood so then I'm not really having fun with my kids either (which really was the excuse for the house to be untidy in the first place) & I'm crabby with my loving husband - trying to put the blame somewhere else...
Why can't I just accept it for what it is? Without feeling like a lazy, good for nothin??
I think I just need to take my kids & get out of the house more. Ya, that's the ticket! Run away & hope the mess doesn't chase me :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I hear ya sista. It is all about what works for you as a mom, what works for one may not work for another.
You do what makes you and your family happy. I find with summer here and kids home from school that the house is last on my priority list at the moment. lol
Great Post.
I really appreciate this posting Erin! It helps me keep focused on what's important to know that I have friends who make their kids their 1st priority. My weakness is the balance between kids and housework (and a bazillion other things). My reality with 5 kids is the "no choice BUT to be organized" thing. I appreciate your perspective. It helps me remember what side of the teeter-totter in this balancing act should have the most weight.
by the way Erin you can check out MY blog (I wanted to do it for some time, but seeing that you have a blog was the last nudge I needed) www.palfreyschool.blogspot.com!
cool post Erin!
Yep I hate house work! I do it cause i have too! (Really i have friends that do it cause they love it!)
I choose to let the house take the back burner sometimes... like summer. But also as my kids are getting older I'm finding it easier and even more important to be organized!
Post a Comment