I would, also on occasion, take a "non-sick" day from work. This is a practice I aim to continue with my children. I think it is more than healthy & critical for happiness to remember that we work to live, not live to work.
On these days, I could always count on my "perpetually, er, I mean... conveniently unemployed, male best friend in the world" - Adam to accompany me. The phone call would go something like this:
*Ring, Ring*
Adam: Hello?
Me: I'm not going to work today... (even my voice would be smiling!)
Adam: *gasp* you mean?...
Me: Oh ya, Baby!
Both: SUPER MEGA HAPPY FUN DAY!!!
We would spend the day going where we wanted, doing what we wanted & generally just have one of those days where you take a LOT of deep breaths & LOVE being alive.
It's been longer than it should have been.
Today was Super Mega Happy Fun Day with my kids.
Phase 1: Playdate at the park - province wide Pro-D Day (re: no school) + BEAUTIFUL sunshine + good girlfriends + everyones cute kids = such a fun morning!
Phase 2: Head to White Rock for great buy from Craigslist. Seller just happens to live 1 1/2 blocks from the beach! *jealous*
Many a Super Mega Happy Fun Day was spent at the Pier in White Rock...
* 5 cents wings at the Ocean Beach Hotel
* More Ice Cream than I can count
* wading with Alana after church (still in our church clothes) - there's nothing quite like walking through wet sand in your bare feet with your high heels in your hand :) *sigh*
*so many groups of friends, walking & talking...
* so many sunsets enjoyed...
* it also was where Graham & I had our first "official" date. And where 4 months later, on a cold January night (the 6th to be exact), he asked me to marry him.
TOO many great memories to pass up the opportunity to spend a little R&R there with the kidlets...
Phase 3: Head to the Toy Store for a little bribery... er, I mean encouragement for Evan, as he has his first "real" dentist appointment tomorrow. He can be a little more timid about these things & I find if he gets to choose his "encouragement", then things go pretty smoothly.
As luck would have it, Graham was done work by this time & was able to meet us at the toy store. Yay!
Phase 4: A very yummy (& kid friendly) dinner at Montana's - Yumm! Ribs all around!

Daddy coloring on the table (one of the best things at Montana's!), Averie enjoying her first ribs & Brynlea enjoying her first ice cream cone (mini, of course)
- pardon the quality, I resorted to the cell phone camera after leaving the other in the van :P
Every once in a while as Moms we get those days. The ones that make it all worth while. Everybody gets along... the plans all come to pass without a hitch... we get to really enjoy each other.
Today I got to do a lot of good deep breathing.
It feels awesome.
I miss you, Adam!
















4 comments:
I loved those days! They were so fun and the best. Except you forgot to mention "Uncool Days' which I definitely had a couple of weeks ago. It's so embarrassing I refuse to tell you about it here!
Erin I LOVED this post!! Just filled my heart up!
This post made me miss the coast. thks!
I'm with DJO.. I miss White Rock Beach SOOOOO much. Thanks a lot! ;)
But what a great day. I sat here just loving it. Your pictures, your words, your day-- all perfect!
Post a Comment