Evan's preschool had the "Mother's Day Tea" last week & with some wrangling, I managed to go to it without any other children - just him & me.
All day though, I was haunted by memories of last year's Mother's Day Tea - it was Averie's last at preschool. Brynlea was about 5 weeks old. Usually at Mother's Day Tea, the children are dropped off at the usual time & Mom comes back when there is an hour left of preschool for the "tea" part.
Right as we were dropping Averie off, Evan - who LOVED to run up & down the hall outside the door of her school - did a header into a planter at the end of the hall. And ended up like THIS:

It was probably the "grossest" thing I've had to deal with as a mother. It bled SO much & gaped so much, there was no doubt with a single glance at it that it would need stitches - it was like a 3rd eye! yuck!
I then had to figure out how I was going to manage to hold down a screaming 2 1/2 year old for stitches & feed a five week old at, what was sure to be, the same time.
Graciously, the director of the preschool offered to take Brynlea while I took Evan to be mended.
Miraculously, when I called, my doctor did not have an appointment scheduled & I could go see him right away (you have NO idea how miraculous this really is - I usually have to wait at least 2 days ANY time I make an appointment) saving us from the very long wait we would have most certainly had at the ER.
Amazingly, I had put a bottle & a container of formula (she was on lactose-free remember) in the diaper bag a few days before.
Incredibly, I ended up being only slightly late for the tea, after getting Evan stitched (he was VERY brave & only yelled "no, thank YOU!" while in the process), going back to the school to get Brynlea, taking them both back to our house to meet Graham (who would watch them while I went to the tea), & giving him as brief a run-down as I could about what had happened, then rushing back to the school...
This year went MUCH smoother!!! But life is relative, right?
Anyway, here is Evan & his cutie patootie class doing their "performance" for the Mom's at his first Mother's Day Tea:
I then had to figure out how I was going to manage to hold down a screaming 2 1/2 year old for stitches & feed a five week old at, what was sure to be, the same time.
Graciously, the director of the preschool offered to take Brynlea while I took Evan to be mended.
Miraculously, when I called, my doctor did not have an appointment scheduled & I could go see him right away (you have NO idea how miraculous this really is - I usually have to wait at least 2 days ANY time I make an appointment) saving us from the very long wait we would have most certainly had at the ER.
Amazingly, I had put a bottle & a container of formula (she was on lactose-free remember) in the diaper bag a few days before.
Incredibly, I ended up being only slightly late for the tea, after getting Evan stitched (he was VERY brave & only yelled "no, thank YOU!" while in the process), going back to the school to get Brynlea, taking them both back to our house to meet Graham (who would watch them while I went to the tea), & giving him as brief a run-down as I could about what had happened, then rushing back to the school...
This year went MUCH smoother!!! But life is relative, right?
Anyway, here is Evan & his cutie patootie class doing their "performance" for the Mom's at his first Mother's Day Tea:

No comments:
Post a Comment