I can also be a bit of an "information junkie"... I call it the "University of Google". When I have, in my extensive "research", discovered something, then tried it & LOVED it, I feel compelled to share my great discovery.
I
So with no further adieu: (most titles have a link to click to get to that products' website)

Gentle Naturals - of these products, I have used only the eczema cream & the cradle cap treatment... they are AMAZING!!! Both Averie & Evan had moderate to severe of both - Evan's eczema was on his face & was bad enough, I feared it would scar! I tried almost every product on the market until very hesitantly (& sparingly) resorted to the hydrocortisone my doctor prescribed - even IT only worked for a very short time & then it was back. After a few months of dealing with this, we were visiting my parents & he was also teething - between the red & dry "teething cheeks" & the eczema - he looked like a circus clown! My mom suggested we try this Gentle Naturals stuff & I was like,"No, I am not spending any more money on stuff that doesn't work!" So she bought it :) I gave him a bath that night & coated his face up good after, then put him to bed. In the morning his face was 100% better!! I am talking it didn't even look like he had ever HAD eczema! I was SOLD! I have used it anytime I've seen dry skin, or redness on Brynlea & she is my first to not have had eczema at all. Basically, the same deal with the cradle cap - after trying many other things, tried it & it worked - used it on Brynlea from the first signs of it & she has never really had any. It also lasts FOREVER because it works! For me, I've only used it a few times & then it appears to cure it! Amazing!
Gumdrop Soothers - I know in the states that these are often given out in hospitals - here in Canada, we have to order them online & have them shipped. Only $1.75 a piece & are GREAT for the first few weeks/months. I know some people are anti-soother in the beginning, but the more kids you have, the more important it is that they will self-soothe. These won't cause nipple confusion as the latch is very similar to nursing - they also come vanilla scented to entice baby even more! LOVE it!
Boppy - a nursing pillow, pretty much any will do, but this is the one I have since you can buy very cute, removable (and WASHABLE!) covers for it. It seriously makes SUCH a huge difference for nursing! Especially in the beginning when they are so tiny. It also doubles great for a support when the older siblings want a turn holding baby & for me, who has c-sections, an "incision protector" - as long as I keep this around me, my older children can climb on me & sit on my lap & I don't fear "damage" - awesome.
Mylicon - also known as "Mommy's Sanity Saver" :) - for some reason I have only been able to find this in the states also. It is a tummy soother for babies. I find it works MUCH better than anything we have available up here. And safe enough to give after every feeding!
Gerber Onesies - love these - they are typical in material & use to many other onesies... the big difference? They come in a "Just Born" size for 5-8lbs!! Since pretty much anything 0-3mths is designed for a baby over 10lbs, those first few weeks can be very difficult to find anything that will fit baby. These are awesome! Make sure you wash first for shrinkage before baby arrives :)
Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium - we have had almost all the models of this crib toy - this is currently the one we are using. Skip the mobile & get this!! In the "self-soothe" area there isn't much that beats it. The music is nice (not annoying!), it has settings that include lights, bubbles, & motion. My babies have learned to turn it on themselves at a very young age, but there is also a remote! So you can turn it on from outside the room :) A couple caveats: if you have the light setting on when they go to bed, make sure you turn it off once their asleep - if they "bump" it in the night & turn it on, the lights can be startling in the dark. Also, the more features you use, the quicker it burns through batteries. We try to stick to just music unless they are really having trouble settling to sleep.Strollers & Carseat - I am stopped ALL the time & asked about my strollers! Here is the info...

Baby Trend Carseat - We previously had an Evenflo carseat which I HATED, so I did a LOT of research when we decided to get a new one. This is an AMAZING carseat! It has a "knob" on the back which you turn and it moves the shoulder straps up - no rethreading!! It also has about 7 adjusting "levels" instead of the 3 that most carseats have. We brought Brynlea home from the hospital at just 6lbs 4oz & it fit her perfectly. It also has the ability to loosen & tighten the straps from the front - BIG bonus! It is also around $100 - awesome.
Baby Trend Snap & Go - this is the first stroller we use after baby comes home. I have c-sections so hauling a full-sized stroller out of the trunk is not an option for at least 6 weeks - this is only 7lbs. And it is $49.99 - small, light weight, drives like a dream - snap the carseat in & go. I get asked about it EVERYWHERE I go! It also works with many other carseats. I have a Baby Trend carseat - but I am currently lending it to my cousin who has a Graco & it works great with that too.Baby Trend Sit & Stand - this is the stroller we use for big family outings where walking for the older ones may become an issue (zoo, parades, amusement park, etc) - it has an adapter that allows for the infant carseat, a platform in the back for an older child to sit (facing mom) with straps, should they be a necessity on occasion. I have had all three of my kids on this stroller on occassion - it is a little cumbersome to push with all of them on it, but worth it to avoid the whining :) It was more affordable than most double strollers as well - I think we paid around $130 for it (new).
Avalon Umbrella Stroller (reclining) - only available at Zellers (Canada). When my babies outgrow their infant car seat, they graduate to this simply amazing & innovative twist on the umbrella stroller. You can see by the picture that it reclines into an almost fully laying down position! What you can't see, is there is no uncomfortable framing surrounding the "seat" of the stroller. It is basically a baby hammock when it is reclining. Brynlea won't even sleep when driving in the car, but she will sleep in this! More bonuses:- it is about 1.5 -2 inches TALLER than your average $20 umbrella stroller. This makes it noticably more comfortable for my hubby to push (he always felt he had to hunch over when pushing other strollers).
- the seat of the stroller sits further up the frame & more "upright" when in the non-reclined position. This makes it both more comfortable for little ones who aren't folded in half while seated in a "deep" seat & means you can use it until they are taller without them eating their knees :)
- 5 point harness (shoulder straps!)
- Small "catch bag" on the back & folds up the same way & size as a regular umbrella stroller.
- It is $35.00 Brand new!
So there you have it. What are some baby things you've discovered that you can't live without??

1 comment:
very cool! loved your list. I'd also love to get some of those soothers. I have the umbrella stroller with my last two...we also loved it!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment