Monday, October 20, 2008

I Can't Swim!

It's swimming lesson time again. We always take a break from Averie's swimming lessons over the summer with the *idea* to restart with the school year... however, LAST year we didn't restart until closer to the END of the school year, so we're at least off to a better start this year.
We also decided to start Evan with swimming lessons as he (more than anyone else in our home) will need to burn off energy as much as possible over this long fall/winter of being cooped up in the house - or we will all suffer the consequences. No. Seriously...

So, we have everything figured out... I have examined at length the swimming lesson schedule, consulted with my darling hubby as to which time slots work with his schedule (he needs to be home to watch Brynlea) - we have spent LOTS of time hyping Evan up for it & getting him excited, Averie is already excited & making us promise DAILY that she will be signed up for & starting swimming lessons soon, we have the money... now to actually GET there to register them...

One problem... have I mentioned that October is one of my busiest portrait seasons?

I'm technically only doing photography part-time... in October it has this funny way of creeping into INSANE full-time! In fact, I should be photo-editing RIGHT NOW... I have SIX completed portrait sessions lined-up for photo editing as I am sitting here. But I need a break... so I am blogging instead :) Back to that tomorrow...

Oh! One more embarrassing fact... the rec center where they have their lessons is literally ONE block away. If our place had one more floor, I could SEE it from our house.

Anyhow, I digress... I didn't manage to get there to register them until this morning, which happens to be the day this session starts (I went to register them at 10am, lessons were at 4pm)...

Due to a slow-on-the-uptake Mother, all of Evan's age group classes were FULL!! Great! So, we've been psyching the kid up for 2 weeks about it & now Averie will get to do swimming lessons (again!) & he won't?! (AGAIN!)...

So I have sucked it up & am doing what any decent mother would do - putting on a swim suit (UGH!) & having "Mommy & Evan swim time" while Averie is in her lesson. (By the way, I also have already signed him up for NEXT session! :))

*****************************************************

We arrived at the pool today & amid much excitement - got Averie off to her lesson. Evan was practically vibrating he was SO excited! We go to the change room to quickly change & come out - he can't decide which pool to go to first (there are 3 - wave pool, baby pool & hot tub) I explain them as "cold pool, warm pool, & hot pool". He picks "warm pool" - we head over there, hand in hand, with him bouncing & skipping all the way. I lift him into the pool, then follow him in. I watch him - the water comes up to just below his waist - he looks kind of awkward. He stands there & crosses his arms, sort of squats down in the water, waves his hands around in the water a bit... then he stands up, puts his hands on his hips & with this really confused look on his face & says, "Mommy... I can't swim!" Like in all of his excitement, it had never occurred to him what he would actually DO when he got in the water!!

He is SO funny!

No comments: