Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back on the wagon

This is me.


It was taken during a headshot shoot I did of a very good friend of mine who was/is an amateur wrestler. He somehow managed to turn the lens on me. I am wearing his ball cap & making a very goofy face... but I am grateful. It is the only picture of me that I have from a time when I was running 4 days a week & eating well & felt stronger than I had for most of my life.

I love my family. But we are not a particularly active bunch. I have struggled with trying to learn how to be a healthy & active person. There have been moments in my life that I think I "get it" (hence, the picture above) but I am also an emotional eater (especially stress) & not long after this picture was taken, I met my husband. Being "woo-ed" was not good for my waistline either :)

My husband & I had a brief courtship (4 months dating - 4 months engaged) but by the time we got married, I think I gained almost 20lbs (stress...

not from him, but planning a wedding in 4 months - Yikes! Not to mention HE suddenly took up the time I used to spend working out & we were eating out a LOT - that's what you do when you're dating - well, it's what we did anyway)

- then I had my brief & ONLY experience with the birth control pill... I gained 40lbs in 3 months!! I got stretch marks I gained weight so fast!! I quickly went off the pill & have since gone up & down with my pregnancies (I lose weight when I am pregnant - as much as 30-35lbs) then gain it back in the first year after the baby is born. It is SOOOO frustrating!!

So I fell off the wagon (with a giant THUD) over Christmas - but the new year has given me renewed hope & energy.

I have found new support in my sisters who are taking the same journey along with me.

I have found new resources (if you have never heard of www.sparkpeople.com it is an AMAZING resource!! Tracks your nutrition & fitness based on goals you enter - ALL FOR FREE!!)

I have new hope & faith in myself & in TAKING time for me each day to try to achieve this.

I am going to lose 50lbs by August. I am down 2lbs so far & have been slowly easing my way into more & more activity. I am feeling better already.

Here's to swimsuit shopping for this summer!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the Journey. I will be joining you after May of course. ;-)

Angie said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! And you're SOOO not alone! Aside from your sisters, there are lots of people who feel like 2009 is THE YEAR! We can do it!