Monday, May 4, 2009

Battle Scars

Brynlea is my third child.

Because of this a lot of my anxiety about the stages & happenings of a baby are eased.

I am fully aware (due to many previous trips to the emergency room) that there is a reason infants skull plates don't fuse until around 2 years old - besides the obvious necessity of childbirth) they need the shock absorption!!

I know that babies & toddlers are "experts" in falling. That they don't know to brace themselves for impact, their center of gravity is low, their body weight is minimal & their bones are more "bendy" like cartilage until around 2 or 3 also - all meaning the chances of a "real" injury - or serious one anyway - are minimal during the learning to walk, run, climb stages - until we learn our limits.

Somehow knowing all that doesn't change the heartbreak sometimes.

Brynlea took her first steps yesterday!! The exhilaration of this moment was so great. She is VERY ready - the only thing stopping her right now is her own fear... of falling - how ironic.

About her 3rd attempt to take a few steps was from one of our dining room chairs to Evan's train table. She misjudged when she was close enough to reach out & grab the table ...

then faceplanted into it.

Children are resilient - I know this.

I just hope not very many of her exciting starts end up like this! :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

AWWWWW Poor Brylea...kisses from Grandma.....

Life as a Kenessey said...

She's still gorgeous, scrape and all!! I think it's way more traumatic for the mommies!!!