In our church, he holds the volunteer responsibility of Young Men's President (similar to a youth pastor) - over the youth program for boys aged 12-18. Our church's youth program employs the Scouts program coupled with our faith developing program called Duty to God in order to help the boys develop into well-rounded, great men. I have a great love & testimony of these programs working together to change lives & help boys become incredible men.
It is because of this testimony that I am willing to (though with some trepidation) be left with my children a few times a year while Graham goes on various youth retreats & camps, to support these youth - be a role model for them, build relationships with them & give them character building experiences.
I often think that the anticipation of my husband leaving is worse than him actually leaving. What I imagine happening in his absence is often much worse than how it actually goes. I like to believe Heavenly Father is blessing us for our sacrifice & therefore, my children do actually behave quite well while he's gone.
This week he is in Manning Park on a youth retreat... which means he doesn't have cell phone reception. It is also the summer & my husband is a teacher... which means all of us (especially my kids) have gotten very accustomed to having him around.
I often don't realize how much I truly ENJOY being with Graham. He is my absolute favorite person in the world. He entertains me so much with his funny ways. When he isn't here I really do feel the difference. Quite frankly, I get bored. I love my children SO much, but of all the people I have called "family" in my lifetime, Graham is the only one I chose. Because I'm not frequently given the opportunity to do so, it always surprises me how MUCH I miss him when he's gone.
So, the anticipation of his leaving usually makes me somewhat nervous, but now I get to anticipate his return :) Absence doesn't necessarily make the heart grow fonder, but it definitely gives me a good reminder of what a great man I married & how much he contributes to our home.
In younger days...

No comments:
Post a Comment